Subtitle

...previously "Wayne & Julie Bacon's Journey"

Older posts are located at...

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Losing Wayne.... again

I find myself crying, sobbing, vocally mourning the loss of Wayne like I did the week of the stroke. I'm surprised by this, yet I'm finding it to "make sense". We are at another "fencepost" as a caregiver class referred to it; a transitioning spot where what was is no longer and the next stretch of fence looks very different from what's behind us. and it's unknown. I'm not bad with unknown (at least I don't think I am) but I am terrible with closing chapters--and I mean terrible--and with letting time pass to allow for healing (a.k.a. Patience).
Wayne needs daily, maybe hourly, care; so he will go to a skilled nursing facility. His apartment lease ended and I've been moving him out over the past week... It's another crazy "widow" type experience, going through all of your loved one's belongings and having memories flood your being without warning, and having to decide what to keep versus what to donate.  My body is manifesting the stress physically: I've been in cold-sweats for 8 days now, my oh-so-awesome facial numbness, and a rash taking over my right hand.
I miss you, Wayne!
 November 2nd would have been our 11 year wedding anniversary.

I am lonesome for him--it hasn't been the same since 2008 (obviously), but at least I had some bits of Wayne in my life. I'm at the point where I'm realizing I've been underwater for months, treading water, holding Morgan with one hand and Wayne with the other, kicking like mad to get all of us back up to the surface... but I can't.  The divorce and the loss of my job caused Wayne to be on state healthcare and benefits. And then the leg fracture requiring surgery and after-surgery PT (physical therapy) and nursing and pain management care--it was like a trifecta that demanded I take another path.
   I wish I could continue to muster the unhuman strength to get all three of us to the surface.
   I wish he could live up the street from us, take the bus down to our house and visit Morgan and/or Luna (our 2 year old Australian Cattle Dog), and spend Fridays with Morgan.
   I wish he could have freedom, independence, and a life.
I called Wayne two days ago, so Tuesday, and just sobbed on the phone. He did too. I said, "I'm so sorry that I can't come visit you at the hospital.  It brings back too many memories, and I really need to detach from being your primary caregiver. I hurt and hate that you are sitting in a hospital, and that you are probably sad, hurt, and lonely.... but I'm sad, hurt, and lonely. I wish you had chosen me.  I can't protect you from sadness, pain, or loneliness.  I can't protect you from anything I'm realizing. But I can protect myself. And it is so painful to not be there with you or for you!  I'm so sorry that this is what life handed us and it sucks.  I love you, and I'm not taking Morgan away from you, or abandoning you. We'll come visit you when you move to your new spot, once you are out of Harborview. Okay? Okay. Bye."
The best analogy I can identify is how it must feel when your loved one gives you the last seat in the life raft... how Rose must have felt in Titanic when Jack left her to survive. Why does it have to be a choice? Why can't we both survive? Why does one of us have to sink?
I suppose we both can survive, actually.  I just can't be the one helping Wayne to survive. He needs to help himself do that, and if he needs assistance in doing that, it can't be me to "save" him.

*Light bulb* (hahaha--like in Despicable Me. LOL)

8 comments:

  1. Big hug to you, Julie. You are a tough woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying with and for you!!! You will get thru this, and come out stronger on the other side, scars and all!! Praying for you guys, anything i can do to help, let me know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cry along with you, Julie. The feelings and numbness that you describe are just too familiar. I have had a terrible time accepting that things will never be the same as they were pre stroke. I understand the "bits" that continued to bind you together. You are very brave and are saving yourself and Morgan. It is difficult to accept that we have our limits on what we can change. God Bless you, girl. Your posts usually bring me to tears, but I am rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, You will get through this, just like you have gotten through everything else life has thrown your way. It seems like you are finally finding a path that will bring you the things you deserve in life. I love and miss you! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Mary Mulvihill:

    My dearest Julie, I weep for you. I weep for Morgan, and Wayne, and my stroke ex husband, and me, and our children and famliles. There are not enough tears to wash away the sorrow. The Wayne you love is no longer the man who knew you, understood you, and loved you. I remember seeing Wayne's MRI after Geoff's. That dark shadow covering his brain took the man you love away. No man in his right mind would drink as he does post stroke. But that's what our alcoholic stroke husbands do. They drink to celebrate. They drink because it's noon. They drink to mourn. They just. Drink. They know no "bottom" and they have a boat anchored tethered to their ankles. And we react, we rescue them, we parent them. And then we parent our children because no one else will. And then they want a divorce because they don't like the situation they created! So I've come to believe that the best way to honor Wayne, and his family, is to mother the precious daughter you created together. Wayne loves her so much, and yet he doesn't understand how much confusion and chaos he causes in her life. I look at my daughter, and the chaos her dad brought to her young life, and how she's handling it a teen. It's not good. And I look at my sons, and their struggles. It's not good. You are going to need all the strength you can muster to parent Morgan; to give her what she deserves, you deserve to find peace, and joy, and grace. Grace is forgiving someone even when they don't deserve it. Live in grace with Wayne. Love him even if it makes no sense. Even though he left the marriage. If he wants to float, he will. He has demonstrated again that he cannot care for himself, so assisted living is a gift. Hopefully his family can care for him and keep him buoyed after that. But you need to care for his legacy, the best thing he did in his life, his little blond adorable creation. And to do that, you're going to have to swim.

    I love you!
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Mary Mostrom:

    My dear JEWEL!! I read your post and I am amazed at your level of feeling every feeling and REALLY working thru all of this. Your are an amazing woman Jewels.....u r a jewel. It isn't easy I'm sure!!! I cant I know...cuz I don't!! I just want u to know that you are amazing and a true gift in anyones life!!! I do love you and think of you often!!!! ok on a lighter note..I was reading ur friends note and they made the comment it makes sense so rather than u calling it your FENCEPOST....Call it your SENSEPOST!!! Love ya chica and keep on YOUR journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. " I can't protect you from sadness, pain, or loneliness. I can't protect you from anything I'm realizing. But I can protect myself." This is so true Julie and you are taking the right steps forward even though they hurt. Each step forward will hurt less though and you will once again dance in your field of wild poppys. Remain strong, walk forward, head up and know that it is only you that you can change. And remember my favorite quote, "just as the butterfly thought it was to die, it turned into a butterfly." You are becoming that butterfly hun and are starting to shift from yoru cocoon. Love Fay xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Julie I'm balling right now- I so feel all of that so close in my heart- Wow, you certainly had me on every word- so close to how I have felt & feel- you put into words....You are strong & will make it!!! All of you!!! Xo!!! Much Love- Jeanne Vannice (facebook/Caregiver of my hubby who had stroke 2/6/2009)

    ReplyDelete