Subtitle

...previously "Wayne & Julie Bacon's Journey"

Older posts are located at...

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Shunt to be placed

Wayne was admitted to Harborview last night.  I called 911 around 8:30pm because he seemed to be declining neurologically.  We were seen immediately at our primary care physician in the morning because Wayne was expressing concern about the fluid that was not draining but rather accumulating on his left temporal cranial area. 
I was mistaken with my idea that the plastic synthetic bone flap was solid--last night in the Emergency Department (ED), the Neurosurgeon explained the the pocket of fluid that wasn't draining was both pushing on the brain and on his scalp.  The fluid pushed on his scalp enough to begin to touch the top of his ear. The Neurosurgeon said, "I mean, that's an impressive amount of fluid."
So, they were thinking of "tap & drain" where they draw out the fluid with a syringe. Next would be to open the incision and place the JP Drain back into his scalp area. And most severe and permanent, would be to place a shunt.
The third option has been chosen by his Neurosurgeon.  He has not had anything to eat since Midnight in preparation for going back into the Operating Room (OR).  There isn't a time yet scheduled; the floor nurse that I talked to this morning stated that the OR calls them and tells Wayne's nurse/doctor when the OR is ready for him.
Our neighbor took care of Morgan and our new puppy Luna last night and into the morning. I'm heading into Harborview.  The neighbors are keeping Morgan for the day, and I just confirmed that my dad is flying into Seattle from Minneapolis tonight at 7:45pm.  Phew--that will be good to have someone here for Morgan, for Wayne, and for me.
I'll post more when I know more. He's on 4E Hospital at Harborview.
If anyone wants to help, here's some ways:
     come by and see Wayne,
     come hangout with me,
     I'll have Luna in the car with me since I haven't crate trained her yet, so you could come get her from my car & take her on a walk or hang with her at our house in Shoreline or your house,
.... trying to think of other ways and I can't right now...

I'll be in touch--thanks for reading our blog & for your continued positive thoughts and memories of Wayne, me, or Morgan that you send into the Universe.

EDIT/UPDATE: Luna is not in the car--she is at home and a neighbor is coming by to play with her and check on her. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment