Subtitle

...previously "Wayne & Julie Bacon's Journey"

Older posts are located at...

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Is it normal to have a headache?

I talked with the nurse last night around 10pm and she said that Wayne hadn't voided any urine since the surgery, so they started him on IV fluids. He still isn't urinating on his own this morning, so that is something that the nursing staff will work on today.  They said he seems very dehydrated.
I called this morning to get an update from his nurse as soon as Morgan and I woke up, and I only got a brief update because she had to go and Wayne was asking for the phone--he is extremely nauseous and he seems to be in a lot of pain.  I do not remember this in 2009 with his previous cranioplasty but I also had an 11 mos old in my arms... and we were all elated to be getting the other half of his skull back into his head to cover up the remains of that left hemisphere. Sooooo, my memory could be skewed just a tad.
Even last night at 5pm when M & I left for home, he wasn't willing to engage... he could but seemed to want quiet, the shades drawn, and to be laid back down from being propped-up to eat his dinner (which he didn't eat either).
I'm not sure I'd go as far to say he's doing badly, but let's face it, when he was in the ICU and on death's doorstep I was stating he was "doing great!"  It doesn't seem as though he is in bad shape, but there are definitely some things that we need to get resolved today and I am a bit concerned.
It was the original plan and the intent of the neurosurgeons to discharge him today from Harborview. I'm not sure that's going to happen.
I've got to go get M & I ready to head into Harborview and exercise our new blue heeler puppy Luna before we head out, but I wanted to get at least some sort of update posted.
Thanks for all the positive thoughts and energy that you put out into the universe yesterday--I was frightened that he would "let go" once he was under the anesthesia, 'cause it has not been an easy road for him and can be so frustrating at times to not be able to express any thoughts or needs with words.  However, he is a fighter, he is loved, and he has a lot of love to give.  When M & I went into the Recovery Room yesterday around Noon, he was instantly reaching for and looking to console Morgan--SUCH a great dad!!!
We love you Wayne, and we believe in you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment